Visa and Sponsorship

Monash Health recognises the value internationally skilled clinical professionals add to our local workforce.

International applicants will require a visa to work in Australia. Monash Health will assist future employees with information about visas during the employment process.

Business sponsorship  –  There are a range of visas that allow overseas candidates to work in Australia. The most common visas used by Monash Health to sponsor health professionals are:

Training Sponsored Visa (Subclass 407)  –  This temporary visa is the subclass 407 Training Visa and allows the applicant to take part in workplace based occupational training activities to improve their skills for their job, area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development program in Australia.

This is a temporary visa.  It may be granted allowing you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years.

Temporary Employer Sponsored Visa (Subclass 482)  –  The temporary work visa in Australia is the subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. The Department of Home Affairs replaced the previous subclass 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa with the TSS visa on 18 March 2018.

The TSS visa allows the visa holder to work in a nominated occupation for the sponsor or an associated entity of the sponsor. Nominated occupations are set out via a legislative instrument and divided into occupations on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), and the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), and the Regional Occupation List (ROL). The nominated occupation list is subject to regular review and change by The Department of Home Affairs.

Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) Permanent Residency (Subclass 186)  –  This visa provides permanent residency for highly skilled staff from overseas, or temporary residents currently in Australia. This visa can be sought when the employer is unable to fill a vacancy from within the Australian labour market or through their own training programs. For more information visit Employer Nomination Scheme visa.

Skilled Nominated Visa Permanent Residency (Subclass 190)  –  This visa lets nominated skilled workers live and work in Australia as permanent residents.   You must be nominated by an Australian State or territory government agency.  You must score at least 65 points to be eligible and you must be aged under 45 to apply.  For more information visit Skilled Nominated Visa.  If eligible you can become an Australian Citizen from this visa.

Independent Permanent Residency (Subclass 189)  –  This visa is for invited worker and New Zealand citizens with skills we need, to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.  It is a points tested stream and you do not require a sponsor or nominator.  You must be invited to apply.  For more information visit Skilled Independent visa

Australian citizenship  –  You can become a citizen of Australia in different ways and applicants for Australian citizenship must meet certain requirements and criteria before making an application.

Read more about Australian citizenship.

Registration requirements  –  Additional registration requirements exist for clinicians who complete their qualifications in a country other than Australia. This may include an application for recognition of qualifications through the regulatory authority for your specialty/discipline.

Find out about requirements to practise:

  • Medical

  • Nursing and midwifery

  • Allied health

  • Dental