Rosemary McKemmish | 03 9594 2547 | 0427 409 310
The Monash Care Doctors’ Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy grew out of the National Mental Health Survey of Doctors & Medical Students conducted by beyondblue which found that:
• Doctors reported substantially higher rates of psychological distress and attempted suicide compared to both the Australian population and other professionals
• Young doctors and female doctors appeared to have higher levels of general & specific mental health problems and reported greater levels of work stress
• The general work experience for Australian doctors is stressful & demanding
• Stigmatising attitudes regarding the performance of doctors with mental health conditions persist
Monash Health is aware that the work experience of doctors and medical students can be stressful and demanding and that seeking help throughout such periods can be difficult.
The MonashCare Doctors’ Health & Wellbeing Strategy is a framework to raise awareness. It aims to reduce workplace stress and create avenues to encourage doctors to seek help by creating a workplace that is encouraging and caring so that no Monash Doctor has to struggle in silence.
Monash Health is committed to providing a safe & supportive workplace for all Monash Doctors that enables a quality training & career experience by ensuring:
• A widespread awareness of Mental Health & Wellbeing
• Preventing workplace stress & psychological distress
• Supporting doctors with identified mental illness
• Building strategic partnerships to achieve workplace wellbeing
• Supporting research to improve our understanding of workplace wellbeing